Under the overall guidance of the Director, Forestry Policy and Resources Division (FOA), the Deputy Director will assist with the day-to-day management of the Division. He/she will support the Director in providing strategic, managerial and technical leadership for the work of the Division and facilitate the contributions of the Division to FAO’s strategic framework. In particular, the incumbent will:
- support the Director in the overall management including planning, strategic vision, advice, quality control, and ensuring the implementation of the Division’s approved work plan as well as the cost- effective use of financial and human resources;
- coordinate and advise technical teams in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of work plans within the framework of FAO’s strategic objectives and support team planning in definingpriorities that scale-up results, focus on impact at the country level and promote cross-sectoral and multidisciplinary approaches to delivery;
- support the development of comprehensive strategies to promote the Division as an innovativecentre for programme and project design and delivery in line with FAO’s Strategic Objectives andCore Functions;
- ensure effective linkages between the work and staff of the Division with decentralized offices, especially in the framework of the Technical Network in Forestry;
- develop external partnerships to promote synergies and increase the effectiveness of theDivision’s work and mobilize extra-budgetary resources for approved programmes;
- enable a motivated and effective work force by ensuring the recruitment of highly qualified staff, mentoring, coaching and supporting career development and staff capacity development;
- represent the Division in international fora and other external and internal meetings addressing issues related to forest resources management, and serve as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Director.