Duties and responsibilities
Science, outreach and engagement, and
capacity development (50%)
- Undertake scientific and implementation
activities within the VFI Theme and facilitate interactions with those from
other Themes at CIFOR as appropriate.
- Provide scientific guidance and ensure that
the concepts and methods of the research carried out are appropriate and meet
the highest scientific standards, reflecting up-to-date scientific methods and
- Define and implement research activities in
important and emerging areas of research, especially those embraced under the
- Identify and support progress along impact
pathways to ensure the relevance of research to target policy arenas and
- Write and supervise publications and other
scientific communications related to research activities.
- Disseminate science through social and other media
(e.g. infobriefs and blogs).
- Contribute to policy-science dialogue of
relevant projects, especially those included in the VFI Theme.
- Contribute to the organization and scientific
content of CIFOR-hosted events and other conferences including workshops,
retreats and meetings.
- Lead and supervise the capacity development
initiatives of projects under implementation, especially those relevant to the VFI
Theme and contribute to other capacity development efforts.
- Supervise national staff, students and junior
scientists in their learning and professional development by providing
feedback, coaching, mentoring and resources, and by identifying learning goals
and opportunities for professional development.
- Coordinate the implementation of projects
while ensuring the proper management of available financial and human resources
for the achievement of expected project outcomes.
Strategic partnership and policy engagement (25%)
- Maintain and further develop high-level
relationships with key CIFOR partners and stakeholders; including national
governments; multilateral, international and regional organizations; donor
agencies; nongovernmental organizations; and research institutions.
- Provide support to the coordination of and
collaboration with other CGIAR centers working with the CGIAR Research Programs
of which CIFOR is a member.
- Define and implement strategies for policy
engagement to contribute to the achievement of outcomes and impacts from key
research and findings.
- In collaboration with the Communications,
Outreach and Engagement Team (COE), other Team Leaders and Scientists, ensure
that information about CIFOR and the outcomes of its research are effectively
conveyed to partners and target audiences.
- Contribute to communication targeted at
policy makers (including workshops, website and policy briefs) about relevant
- Represent CIFOR in national, regional and/or
global science-policy dialogue, as appropriate.
Proposal development and resources mobilization
- Work with Team Leaders, the Resource
Mobilization Team, and with scientists as appropriate, to identify and develop
strategies to secure funding to enable research agendas.
- In conjunction with relevant scientists and other
Team Leaders, contribute to the development of research and other proposals in
support of CIFOR research and policy engagement.
- Develop strategic partnerships with the potential
to contribute to successful fund raising in areas that contribute to achieve the
CIFOR mandate and expected outcomes.
- Coordinate with other CIFOR scientists regarding
the development of proposals, targeted engagement and other activities that
require collaborative work across CIFOR’s Themes.