Fairventures is a German-based international development organization that drives reforestation of degraded land and the conservation of biodiverse forests on a large scale, in economically viable systems that benefit local communities.
Fairventures Social Forestry designs and implements respective scalable business models. We have opened a 3,000 HA Social Forest plantation on Kalimantan, Indonesia, where we cooperate with local communities providing required capital, management expertise, and access to markets. We create sustainable supply chains in deforestation-free tropical timber and selected cash crops, restoring ecosystems and creating livelihood opportunities for local communities on the ground, while contributing to the mitigation of climate change.
See our website for more information: www.fairventures.earth
Agricultural Value Chain Expert
Fairventures is looking to develop commodities that provide sustainable long-term income for both smallholders and plantations – the Agricultural Value Chain Expert will drive efforts to design and implement these plans.
- He/she will identify products from cash crops and non-timber forest products (NTFPs) most suitable to the local site conditions, with the potential to generate superior income opportunities for FSF in selected markets.
- The Agricultural Value Chain Expert will identify market opportunities and analyze supply chain economics, define product specifications, assess requirements for processing, logistics, certification and other relevant issues.
- He/she will create project plans for large-scale planting, harvesting, post-harvest processing, and logistics, and define respective monitoring and evaluation. Planting plans must include tropical commodities intercropped with fast-growing lightwood timber and/ or grown independently on mid-sized plantations, with the participation of local communities.
- The Agricultural Value Chain Expert will contribute his expertise to cash crop seedling production at the Fairventures nurseries and will share oversight on test fields in Kalimantan. He/she will support training on good agricultural practice (GAP) for Fairventures staff and beneficiaries, and contribute to and edit manuals and other learning tools on GAP for selected commodities.
- Master’s Degree in Tropical/Subtropical Agriculture (TSA), Food Processing, Sustainable Supply Chains and Production Systems, Agricultural Economics, Value Chains and Rural Development, or a comparable/related subject
- Extensive experience with supply chain analysis (operations/processes, and economics)
- Experience with business development and economic modeling
- Project design and project management experience
- Extensive knowledge on GAP of tropical commodities
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Specialization or field experience in tropical agriculture
- Experience in agroforestry
- Experience with farmers or farmer groups in tropical regions
- Indonesian language skills
Details of Assignment
- Assignment to begin as soon as possible
- Assignment is based in Palangka Raya, Central Kalimantan, Indonesia
- Extensive field travel to the project region in Central Kalimantan and potential new sites will be required
- Willingness to actively learn Indonesian is required
- Ability to interact supportively in a multicultural team with empathy and respect is required
- The position is paid in line with the Fairventures salary scale and includes benefits
This position is ideal for a professional with practical experience, and willing to work in a dynamic and challenging setup. Fairventures is looking for a talented person who wants to fully engage in tropical agriculture and agroforestry and related supply chains, to help develop a sustainable approach to reforestation for the benefit of local communities and the remaining rainforests.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and CV to:
Suk-Hang Tang, Fairventures Worldwide
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Closing date: July 15, 2020