Objective of the assignment
The GLF recently founded GLFx, a global community that aims to enable and accelerate action toward more sustainable landscapes. Members can join independently organized chapters that meet locally to take action. They can also join online communities of practice (CoPs) to share knowledge and learnings.
Working within the GLF Knowledge Team and in close collaboration with the GLFx Coordinator, the CoP Coordinator will be in charge of growing, engaging and managing the GLFx CoP teams and partners, as well as supporting GLF knowledge activities. In addition, the CoP Coordinator will play a key role in achieving the GLF’s aspiration of building decentralized and dedicated online CoPs.
Summary of responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of strategies, principles and priorities for community mobilization in the GLF.
- Ensure activities are aligned with broader GLF priorities and plans.
- Take charge of identifying, onboarding and engaging new and existing GLFx CoPs, as well as supporting CoPs in their activities, events and overall development.
Detailed list of responsibilities
- Implement strategies for CoP recruitment
- Strengthen and leverage opportunities within existing GLF networks.
- Improve recruitment of quality CoP moderator applicants through marketing, partnerships or other initiatives, as appropriate.
- Engage with various potential CoP moderators and understand their needs.
- Review existing CoP performance.
- Improve CoP moderator criteria and selection procedures.
- Set up systems for easy CoP moderator onboarding, including CoP moderator peer-to-peer support systems or other onboarding business processes.
- Community of Practice engagement and support
- Develop, maintain and implement a CoP engagement and knowledge-sharing strategy informed by periodic needs assessments.
- Identify and coordinate technical and/or engagement support from CIFOR-ICRAF and Charter Members.
- Distribute learnings from successful CoPs and where appropriate, reactivate passive CoPs.
- Engage the CoP moderator community continuously.
- Support CoP moderators in their CoP activities and events.
- Develop and update guidelines and tools for the growing GLFx CoP mechanism.
- Establish value feedback loops from and in between communities starting from the ground up.
- Be the Person in Charge (PIC) and liaison for important CoP institutional partners, including assisting them in CoP development.
- Coordinate with, and support, the GLF Knowledge Team
- Support effective knowledge sharing, supporting the development of new knowledge products and leveraging on the Knowledge Hub and partner knowledge products.
- Ensure quality and maintain standard of GLFx events and related knowledge products.
- Support relevant activities, including but not limited to Digital Summits, session or workshop development and other outreach activities.
- Support cross-team learning within the Knowledge Team, and across teams including Learning, Communications, Digital and Partnerships teams.
Education, knowledge and experience
- university degree in a related discipline (community building, international development, international relations, environmental science, etc.)
- a minimum of three years’ experience in facilitation, stakeholder engagement, networking, growing online or in-person communities, or in international development
- demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of digital media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global events
- knowledge of landscape approaches, and related experience in their on-the-ground implementation
- experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects
fluency in English.
- other languages (French, Spanish)
- experience working in developing countries
- experience in designing and running advocacy campaigns.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- self-motivated, resourceful, energetic, flexible and adaptable
- adept at networking and meeting new people from different cultures
- creative problem solver
- strategic at both macro and micro levels
- independent and able to work with minimal supervision, but also be a team player
- ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills
- outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills
- proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and conditions
This is a full-time consultancy position.
CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ a suitable candidate regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location.
Period of the consultancy is expected to be January – November 2021.
Working locations: Home-based, preferably in Nairobi, Kenya, or any areas inside a CET time zone.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.