Media outreach is a critical part of CIFOR-ICRAF’s communications program. Media play an important role in raising awareness of CIFOR-ICRAF’s impact-oriented research and actionable, nature-positive solutions. The freelance media outreach coordinator will use his/her media expertise, contacts with journalists, knowledge of climate change and the UNFCCC process to promote CIFOR-ICRAF’s activities in the context of the COP26 in Glasgow, U.K. A particular emphasis should be given to mainstream international media with large, diverse audiences.
Duties and responsibilities
- Working closely with the CIFOR-ICRAF team in the run-up and during COP26 to identify opportunities for stories, interviews and strengthened engagement with media directly related to the event as well as promoting CIFOR-ICRAF´s work related to climate change adaptation and mitigation more broadly
- Set out a plan of topics to pitch to journalists, leveraging CIFOR-ICRAF’s resources, research and experts
- Provide the CIFOR-ICRAF team with monitoring and evaluation, including which media were proactively contacted, details of how many stories were published, in which media outlets, the number of readers, reflection of CIFOR-ICRAF content in the coverage and any further quantitative / qualitative impact or feedback.
- Provide a media engagement plan for CIFOR-ICRAF’s engagement at COP26 in line with the overall climate change communications campaign framework and objectives
- Coordinate interviews with CIFOR-ICRAF experts on hand at COP26 and assist in determining which topics and material to pitch to media
- Provide a final impact report on the stories published, where they were published, number of readers and detailed qualitative and quantitative impact to CIFOR-ICRAF by Dec. 1, 2021
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related background
- Demonstrated experience engaging with international media, pitching stories successfully
- Good understanding of UNFCCC process and climate change policy
- Experience in managing complex projects with multiple counterparts
- Fluency in English is essential; French, Spanish advantageous
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines and grab positioning opportunities as they arise
- Able to find creative solutions
- A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work well in team environments
- Strong client service approach
- Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed
Terms and conditions
- This is part-time consultancy position.
- Duration of the assignment is from October – December 2021.