CIFOR is seeking an experienced and creative Consultant Social Media Specialist to join our team. As a Consultant Social Media Specialist, you will be responsible for developing and implementing our Social Media strategy to increase our online presence and improve our marketing and engagement efforts. You will be working closely with CIFOR’s digital, editorial and outreach teams.
CIFOR is leading the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA) – in partnership with Bioversity International, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), The Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center (CATIE), International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR), Tropenbos International and Agricultural Research for Development (CIRAD). FTA is the world’s largest research for development program to enhance the role, the management and governance of forests, agroforestry and tree resources across the landscape, from farms to forests, and along value-chains, to meet the overarching objectives of sustainable development, food security and nutrition, and to address climate change. Impact driven, FTA seeks to develop, provide and promote evidence-based technical, policy and institutional solutions and innovations for farmers, foresters, practitioners, value chain actors and policymakers.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Unit Manager will coordinate GIS activities across CIFOR’s research project portfolio and be responsible for managing the workflow and human resourcing of GIS operations across the center. The GIS Unit Manager will collaborate with the Deputy Director Gneneral (DDG)-Research and the Team Leader of Research to Impact (RTI) on institutional direction setting in relation to GIS and will have the responsibility for consolidating and building a centralized GIS Unit within CIFOR’s RTI team.
The Team Leader of Research to Impact must be a specialist in Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning & Impact Assessment (MELIA), and will be responsible for design and implementation across the CIFOR research portfolio covering monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment activities to enable ongoing learning, and to foster a strong “impact culture.” In addition, the position holder will lead an effort to conduct impact assessments of forestry and natural resource management policies and practices. Part of the role will be to develop and test innovative evaluation and impact assessment approaches.
Under the supervision of the Director General, and working closely with theme leaders, scientists and partners, the incumbent will undertake the following duties:
Coordinate the management of centralized MELIA, knowledge management and geographic information system (GIS) services across CIFOR’s research themes and regional hub offices.
Provide technical leadership for CIFOR’s MELIA activities including: working closely with team leaders and researchers to embed an impact-oriented culture, evaluative thinking and reflective practice in project cycles assisting scientists with outcomes-oriented proposal development, design and planning of research activities providing on-the-job capacity-building support in relation to effective MELIA in research developing and testing of fit-for-purpose, innovative evaluation approaches to assess the influence of policy-oriented natural resources management research overseeing the design and implementation of outcome monitoring protocols to ensure that project/research outcomes are well documented managing a pipeline of evaluation studies for CIFOR in collaboration with project leads supporting external evaluations and reviews of the CIFOR’s work.
Work in close collaboration with the FTA MELIA Coordinator and other MELIA leaders within FTA-participating institutions to devise and jointly implement the FTA workplan on ex ante, ex post impact assessment and outcome evaluations.
Ensure that CIFOR systems and processes are coherent and aligned with FTA and more broadly with CGIAR systems and processes.
Manage and directly deliver MELIA services (outcome-oriented project design, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework development, monitoring system implementation support) as part of large CIFOR-led or multipartner projects.
Co-develop a research stream in partnership with Royal Roads University to investigate the effectiveness of transdisciplinary research in influencing forestry policies and practices.
The details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed annually with the Director General and laid out in the staff member’s annual performance contract.
The Regional Coordination Unit in Asia is currently based in Jakarta, Indonesia, hosted by one of ILC’s members – the Consortium for Agrarian Reform (KPA) – a lead people’s organization for agrarian reform in Indonesia.
The Asia communications officer will work as part of the Regional Coordination Unit and reporting directly to the Regional Coordinator, to ensure ILC Asia’s communications activities are reflective of the new operating model 2019-21, and to strengthen the communication strategies and capacities of our Asia members. He/She will work closely with the Global Communications Coordinator based in the ILC Secretariat as part of ILC’s one-team approach, to ensure consistent messaging and strategic communications approaches across the network.
- enhancing the digital experience by following design guidelines
- developing necessary WordPress back-end support for web update systems
- implementing plugin and customization when necessary
- implementing or creating widgets
- ensuring the website is running within an optimal coding environment.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader – Program Management and Coordination (PMC), the Project Management System Support Officer will provide effective and efficient administrative support for and monitoring of CIFOR’s project management system and databases. This will require substantial initiative and judgment, and collaboration with CIFOR staff at all levels.
- Assist the GLF team with event planning, communication outreach and the generation of knowledge products.
- Support the monitoring of activities and reporting on outputs.
- Carry out research on partner organizations, speakers and others who can add value to GLF activities.
- Promote and distribute the content of the GLF and Landscapes News across platishers, long-form social media channels, and other forums.
- In collaboration with GLF staff, pitch and generate ideas to promote social media and web engagement.
- Contribute to facilitation efforts, knowledge curation and the development of the learning lab course and its modules.
- Support program activities and administrative tasks.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A recent graduate of, a bachelor’s or master’s program in communications, public relations, journalism, social sciences, international development, environmental science or a related discipline.
• A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues related to forests, climate, landscapes and sustainable development.
• Excellent English writing and communication skills.
• Proven skills in social media networking.
• Familiarity with micro-blogging, content marketing, platishers, and forums.
• Experience in campaign management, event coordination and facilitation is a plus.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Effective time management and the ability to think strategically and find solutions.
• An excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality outputs.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a collaborative team player.
• A strong interest in using traditional and digital media to communicate complex information to broad audiences, and in gaining skills in communicating science.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity.
• Duration of assignment: 6 months, with possibility of extension.
• CIFOR may provide interns with a monthly stipend or living allowance in accordance with the project document or as agreed with the sponsor. The stipend or living allowance shall follow the rate used by CIFOR’s Human Resources Unit for interns.
• Under the overall guidance of the GLF Communications and Outreach Director, duties may be completed remotely, or from the CIFOR office in Bogor, Indonesia or from the GLF Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
• This a home-based position but preferably in Bonn, Germany.
CIFOR is committed to both strengthening and credibly evidencing the translation of its research, engagement and capacity-strengthening efforts into tangible development impacts, particularly in relation to CGIAR’s Strategic Results Framework (SRF) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). CIFOR’s internal Research to Impact (RTI) team is responsible for developing and implementing appropriate methodologies to deliver on this objective.
The RTI team is seeking an appropriately skilled, senior Impact Assessment Specialist to support the RTI team leader in the management and coordination of CIFOR’s planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning portfolio. The position will share responsibility for supporting the strategic coordination and alignment of CIFOR’s research portfolio with institutional and international results frameworks, embedding an impact-oriented culture across CIFOR and building an evidence base for how CIFOR’s transdisciplinary research is contributing to development outcomes.
The Team Leader, Digital and Editorial Services, plays a unique leadership role and brings creative thinking and project management skills to one of the world’s leading science communication programs. She/he will be responsible for taking the program to the next level by creating and implementing an innovative digital strategy for marketing and delivering CIFOR knowledge products to its global stakeholders. She/he will also serve as the editorial director and manage the roster of editors and the publishing team while maintaining the highest editorial standards and ensuring cost-efficiency and effectiveness.